There’s nothing like cake to bring people together. Whether it’s homemade, shop bought or enjoyed in a cafe with a cuppa, cake is so amazing there’s even a national day to honour it as Friday 26th November is officially Cake Day!
However, as we all know, too much cake can be bad for you. It’s all about moderation!
If, like me, you find it hard to moderate your cake input, here’s a fantastic healthier cake recipe idea. The perfect post workout snack or a guilt-ish free treat with friends.
Of course, if you don’t want to bake you can pop into our Brasserie for a cuppa and a choice of delicious cakes!
Black Bean Chocolate Cake
This healthier Black Bean Chocolate Cake is deliciously rich and moist and you can’t taste the black beans!
- 105g low fat spread (includes 5g for greasing)
- 1 tin of black eyed beans, cooked
- 5 medium eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g light brown sugar
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Icing sugar and fruit to finish
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4. Grease an 18cm cake tin with 5g low fat spread and line with baking paper.
- Put the black beans, 3 of the eggs and the vanilla extract in a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the remaining low fat spread and sugar. using a hand-held electric whisk until pale and fluffy. Add the remaining eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the black bean mixture to the bowl and stir until well combined. Finally, gently fold in the cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar, decorate with chosen fruit and enjoy!
Put the kettle on!
See you next week and see you at the Club soon,